Review Date: October 13, 2020
Cider Maker’s DescriptionPeter Hoover planted this 1/4 acre orchard of cider apples from 1995-2000 on a knoll of gravelly loam soil. This orchard is unsprayed and is holistically managed. The varieties were chosed to create a balanced orchard cider. The fruit was all harvested by hand and pressed and fermented one mile away in stainless steel. The varieties are: Golden Russet and Roxbury Russet, Redfield, Tremletts Bitter, Bramleys Seedling, Zabergau Reinette, Kingston Black, Major, Brownthorn, Michelin, Medaille d'Or, Chisel Jersey, Brown Snout, Esopus Spitzenburg, Sops of Wine, Herefordshire Redstreak, Granny Smith, Foxwhelp, Winter Banana, Calville Blanc, Sheepnose, Cox's Orange Pippin.
- bright, crystal clear, very light amber/rich gold
- delicate nose, leather, wet autumn leaves
- intense flavor, stone fruit, overripe red apple, slightly tart
- medium tannins, astringency grows with each sip, low-medium acid
- lasting overripe red apple flavor
Tasting Notes / General Impressionwhat a beautiful cider, one to savor
Reviewer NotesSingle orchard cider, 2017, 112 cases made, Batch # 1701
Have you tried this cider? Let us know on social media what you thought of it and we may include your review here.
South Hill Cider